the station ... on the longest Heritage Railway in England ... for one of the most perfectly preserved medieval villages in England ... bliss!

A Brief History of Dunster Station

dunster castle
used by permission & with thanks to: NRL


Dunster Station is about one mile from the picture postcard village of Dunster, with its Castle perched high above the main street.

For many years it was the home of the Luttrell family, of whom George Fownes Luttrell was instrumental in the formation of the Minehead Railway company.

station building


The Station was first opened on the 16th July 1874 when the Railway was extended to the town from Watchet. Being the local station for the Luttrell family then living in the nearby Dunster Castle, the main building is finished to a very grand style and is now Grade II Listed, as is the adjacent goods shed.

In the early days there was a Signal Box at the station but this was closed on the 5th August 1926. However, with the expansion of facilities along the line in the early 1930's a new Signal Box was erected and opened on the 19th March 1934.

Passenger traffic was always low at the station although a great increase was seen during the period between 1938 and 1943, due to an increase in holiday traffic and troop movements

One of the major freight movements was the transportation of polo ponies who were often in action on the lawns at the nearby Dunster Castle.

used by permission & with thanks to: Nick Jones


In 1958 Dunster lost its Station Master when it came under the control of Minehead.

On the 6th July 1964 the station saw its last goods traffic, and on the 4th January 1971 the last passenger train stopped at the station.

The station officially reopened with the running of the first train from Blue Anchor to Minehead on 28th March 1976

tickets
used by permission & with thanks to: WSSRT


The main building has been superbly restored, and also houses the Railway's ticket printing department. Not only tickets for the Railway are printed on the old Edmondson Press, but for many other heritage lines.

goods shed


The Goods Shed, recently restored, and the adjacent yard, is home to the Railway's Permanent Way department